Okay, we’re getting older and when we go to “shake our booty,” we’re likely to set off reverberations so powerful they could frighten the neighbors. But old, dowdy, and invisible? I doubt it! The planet has never experienced a generation like us boomers and we’re just settling in to our prime.
There are tons of reasons why this is true. Some of these causes for celebration, like the social influence and clout our numbers provide, are legendary. With a grateful nod to our population bulge, we boomers continue our revolutionary ways: shattering outmoded social norms, molding the culture to our liking, and reinventing the role for what it means to be a senior citizen. (Which other generation could boast of forgoing the rocking chair in favor of the rock concert?)
But my thoughts are of a personal nature and I, for one, am grateful for the small things. Here is my list of seven reasons why I consider myself blessed to be a boomer:
- I’ve never had to consider piercing anything on my body beyond my earlobes.
- For much of my life, when I phoned customer service, I immediately spoke with an actual, flesh and blood person! Plus, (and big bonus here) they were trained to be polite and helpful.
- When I was young, there were no entertainment centers—no multiple switches, remotes, wires, and unintelligible manuals. There was a TV with rabbit ears, a dial, and one, elegantly simple, on/off switch.
- I’ve never had to deal with the heartbreak of a full-blown Internet addiction.
- I remember when people used real words and not just unpronounceable acronyms.
- Sixties’ and Seventies’ rock ‘n’ roll was the BEST and I know, without a doubt, that we boomers have never lacked for “cool.”
- We continue to be the grooviest generation on the planet.
So, what do you think? What are the ways you express your boomer bravado? How are you putting gold into your golden years? Whatever they are, you can be grateful for being born into a remarkable generation—so shout it loud and proud: boomers forever!