The bathroom can be a scary place, especially for the people with mobility issues or injuries. Slippery tiles, lack of space, and general limitations to the movement can make a bathroom quite dangerous for older people, as well as for the people with mobility issues. However, there are a lot of things you can do to change this.
We did a bit of digging around and we’ve come up with this short guide through bathroom renovations. When you decide to make your bathroom more accessible to your elderly relatives, or friends that have problems with mobility, this guide should help point you in the right direction. It should help you understand all the necessary steps you need to take in order to make your bathroom safe and yet appealing to everyone. So, let’s not waste time and let’s get straight to it.
Shower and Tub
We all know how slippery and quite dangerous bathtubs and showers can be. They can represent a hazard even if you don’t have any mobility issues. That’s why you need to think about various safety additions to your bathroom. Here are just some of the shower and tub safety accessories that can really lower the risk of getting injured while showering.
- Grab Bars– Grab bars are one of the essential tools for anyone with limited mobility. If you have elderly relatives or anyone with mobility issues, grab bars can really help improve their quality of life. Placing grab bars in easy-to-reach places, with slip-resistant surfaces can significantly help improve the overall bathroom safety. Plus those bars come in various shapes and sizes so they can have a visual effect too.
- Shower Chairs – The best way to provide stability in the tub or a shower is to get a shower chair. There is a virtually endless sea of such products all around the world, and you can even look for some designer shower chairs in order to emphasize the stylish look of your bathroom. The most important thing with those chairs, however, is to make sure they have non-slip rubber legs.
- Walk-In Bathtubs and Curbless Showers– Depending on the space you have available, one of the best solutions, both aesthetically and functionality-wise is to remove the curbs from your shower or implement a walk-in bathtub. You would be surprised at the number of accidents that happen in the bathtub or a shower curb. A walk-in bathtub or a shower open up space quite significantly, and they are adapted for people with mobility issues, so you get to kill two birds with one stone.
Floor and Toilet
There are some other critical points to your bathroom, for example, the bathroom floor and the toilet. It may seem a bit strange, but the number of accidents that happen because of the wet and slippery floors and unstable toilets grows every year. Here’s what you need to keep in mind.
- Non-slip Floor Mats– There are not many things that are as dangerous as slippery bathroom floors. One way to avoid this problem is to change your mats or rugs regularly. You should also ensure that those floor mats have a non-slip bottom in order to avoid any inconvenience. Other than that, floor rugs and mats are amazing for bathroom decoration, and they are very easy to find and change, so be creative, but stay safe when choosing the mat for your bathroom.
- Raised Toilets– Usually, the standard height of a toilet bowl is around 15 inches, but there are more and more elevated models coming every day. These raised toilets really help the elderly lower and elevate themselves from the bowl with ease. When combined with grab bars, these toilet bowls become really useful, and to top it all off, they commonly look pretty great. So consider implementing a raised toilet bowl in your bathroom for easier access and a gorgeous look.
General Renovations Suggestions
Everyone has their own idea of a perfect bathroom redecorating process, but not all of us know exactly what needs to be done. For example, most of the Australian people focus on thorough research before embarking on a redecorating adventure. There are lots of things you can do for yourself, and there are some amazing places where you can learn how to do some things. Still, one of the best options, especially if you live in the New South Wales, is to research bathroom renovations Sydney cost, and compare it with other costs and prices so you can get the best possible price and quality of the work. Avoid using glossy colors when you redecorate your bathroom, so you don’t have a lot of glare.
Redecorating and renovating your bathroom in order to make it safe and appealing is something most of the people are dreaming about. It can be a bit more complicated than expected, but that’s why you should contact a professional and get the best possible piece of advice for your specific renovation project. Keep things simple, but make sure everything is as safe as it should be, and soon, you won’t be able to recognize your old bathroom anymore.
This guest post was graciously provided by Jessie Hogarth. Jessie is a passionate blogger and home designer. She loves writing about tips and tricks that make every home a better place, inside and outside. Besides this, she loves sports, outdoor activities, planning parties and spending time with her close ones.