Four-letter words can be powerful. We all know the biting sting of having certain epithets thrown in our direction but there are other even more compelling words that can impact our lives in positive ways. These ways, in fact, are so profoundly important that we’re unable to even begin to measure their effect. One such four-letter word is HOPE.
As a career counselor/job search specialist, I’ve seen hope (or the lack of it) play out over and over again. What a jobseeker believes about his or her chances for success underscores every aspect of how they present themselves, how motivated they are, and how well they’re able to connect with others.
This same relationship to hope plays out whether or not you’re looking for work. In fact your attitude about hope and your chances for success in whatever your pursue are probably the biggest factors that will rule your life. People with high levels of hope share the following attributes:
• Unlike people who are low in hope, they turn to friends for advice on how to achieve their goals.
• They tell themselves they can succeed at what they need to do.
• Even in a tight spot, they tell themselves things will get better with time.
• They are flexible enough to find different ways to get to their goals.
• If hope for one goal fades, they aim for another while those with low hope tend to become fixated on one goal and persist even when they find themselves frustrated and blocked.
• People with high hope show an ability to break a formidable task into specific, achievable chunks. People low in hope see only the large goal and not the small steps to it along the way.
• People high in hope have had as many hard times as those with low hope but have learned to see setbacks as challenges and not as failures.
• People with high hope live lives of anticipation, enthusiasm, and joy. Their energy attracts other people and they make connections easily.
Of course, if you’re looking for work, you’ll need the right information to navigate the job market of today. So if you or a friend is in a job hunt, I invite you to check out Land the Job You Love. And, once you’ve armed yourself with the necessary key tips and strategies, be certain to anticipate success. Nothing can beat the combination of information and the inspiration a healthy dose of hope will provide!