Stroke is the 5thleading cause of death in the U.S. today and it is important to understand your risk factors as well as what you can do to help prevent becoming a victim to this life-altering event.
Did you know …
- More women than men have strokes each year, in part because women live longer.
- 85% of strokes are classified as ischemic. An ischemic stroke occurs when a clot blocks an artery, cutting off blood flow to part of the brain. The other 15% of strokes are called hemorrhagic strokes, in which a blood vessel in your brain leaks or ruptures leading to bleeding into or surrounding the brain tissue.
- African-Americans are more impacted by stroke than any other racial group within the American population.
- Stroke is a leading cause of long-term disability and the leading preventable cause of disability.
Join neurologist and stroke specialist Dr. Bart Demaerschalk as he shares the latest scientific research on strokes and stroke prevention. Be sure to take a brief 15-minutes to listen and learn …
- Symptoms: How you can tell if you or someone you know is having a stroke, and when to see a doctor
- F.A.S.T. acronym used as a mnemonic to help detect and enhance responsiveness to stroke victim needs
- Treatments (including what to do if you’re having a stroke)
- Lifestyle approaches to prevent a stroke
- The latest innovations in the field of strokes is the extended time window for acute ischemic stroke treatment with some patients treated with catheter-based clot removal even up to 24 hours after symptom onset. A special type of CT or MRI scan is used to help to select which patients can be treated in this way.
If you care about aging well, maintaining your good health and spending many more years with your grandchildren, you won’t want to miss this one!