By Sophie Addison (see below for more details on this guest blogger)
Overtime, sun’s exposure causes an increase in the production of cells called melanocytes which determine the color of your skin, resulting in a dull complexion. The dark skin patches are referred to as brown spots, age spots, dark spots and liver spots.
Brown spots happen on exposed areas of the skin such as face, neck, chest, shoulders and wrists. Aging, sun exposure, and genetics are some of the main causes of age spots. Other causes include stress, pregnancy, mineral deficiencies and weak liver functions.
Though the spots are harmless, many people consider them as unattractive. Here are some ways for lightening age spots naturally:
- Lemon Juice: This contains bleaching properties that can be beneficial in lightening the appearance of age spots. Additionally, it helps in the maintenance of a soft, clear and beautiful skin. You can apply fresh lemon juice on the affected area and let it stay for 30 minutes before washing with warm water. Alternatively, mix lemon juice with sugar to make some paste and form a facial scrub.
- Buttermilk: It contains lactic acid which is a stronger exfoliant to get rid of blemishes and dark spots without causing dryness on the skin. It is simply applied on the spots using a soft cloth or cotton ball and left to dry for a few minutes before rinsing with water. Alternatively, mix four teaspoons of buttermilk with two tablespoons of tomato juice and then apply the mixture.
- Castor oil: It has strong healing properties and can be used effectively to reduce the appearance of age spots. You can combine it with vitamin E oil, coconut oil, almonds or olive oil to get rid of brown spots. Castor oil is applied to the affected areas using a cotton ball. Gently rub for a few minutes and leave it for a few hours before washing off. For best results, repeat this process every morning.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: It is effective for dealing with some skin problems including age spots. It dries out and fades the spot in a fast manner. To apply, mix some apple cider vinegar with equal amount of water. If you prefer, add some honey. Rinse after a few minutes. Repeat the process until you get the desired results.
- Aloe Vera: It contains healing properties and helps in skin regeneration. Therefore, it is an excellent remedy for age spots that occurs as a result of exposure to the sun. To apply, gently rub fresh Aloe Vera gel on the spots and let it stay for 30 minutes before rinsing with cold water. If you can’t find fresh Aloe Vera juice, you will probably find Aloe Vera juice in any reputable outlet.
- Sandalwood: This is an anti-aging agent that also comes with antiseptic to help reduce the appearance of age spots. Mix 2 teaspoons of sandalwood powder with 2 teaspoons of rose water. Apply the mixture o the spot and allow it to dry naturally before rinsing with cold water. Repeat a few times every week for best results.
- Horseradish: This is a fantastic herb you can make a paste from and apply it directly to the skin. It has lightening abilities to deal with age spots and freckles effectively. Simply make a paste of horseradish and apply it on the affected area of your skin. Let it settle for about 20 minutes before rinsing with water.
- Papaya: Contains enzymes and alpha hydroxyl acids essential for exfoliating the skin and reduce the appearance of age spots, acne and blemishes and skin other conditions. Additionally, it makes the skin cleaner and brighter. Simply rub one teaspoon of papaya on the affected area of your skin and let it settle for 20 minutes before washing it off with water. Repeat this twice every day for best results.
- Yogurt: Thanks to its mild bleaching ability, it is a safe and easy way to make your skin glow and lighten age spots naturally. Simply apply a small amount of plain yogurt to the affected area and massage for a few minutes. Wait for it to dry for about 20 minutes before rinsing with cold water.
- Onion Juice: Another easy way to get rid age spots is to use onion juice. It is acidic in nature and comes with breaching properties to help fade the age spots. Simply cut a few slices of onions and rub it against the affected areas of your skin. You can combine it with garlic. Alternatively, mix a tablespoon. Apply the pack and leave it for 15 minutes before rinsing with water.
For the results to appear, you will need to have patience when trying these home remedies. It is worth noting that results can’t happen overnight. The age spots disappear in a week or two if you apply any types of skin brightening treatments. Discontinue using if there are allergic reactions or side effects.
This guest post was graciously provided by Sophie Addison. Sophie is an enthusiast blogger and writer. She is very passionate about writing general health and fitness. She has posted articles on skincare problems, joint pain treatment, weight loss and woman’s health. Apart from work she likes gardening and listening to music. Connect with her on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.