5 Tips for Jobseekers Fifty Plus
There seems to be no end to the discouraging news bombarding jobseekers over 50 on an almost daily basis. However, if you buy into the distressing statistics, you won’t be doing yourself any favors. Statistics (by definition) are generalities and cannot take into account how an individual conducts his or her search. So, by keeping your eyes on the prize, maintaining your confidence, and presenting yourself effectively, you’ll beat the odds and land that job you’re going for.
Here’s a list of 5 tips to help you get started:
1) Learn the rules of today’s job market:
- Take a proactive approach—target opportunities and companies where you’d like to work
- Learn to use your network effectively and build the critical connections that can act as a “bridge” to where you want to go
- Incorporate social networking into your job search
2) Get the technology training you need:
- There are plenty of free or low fee classes on the Internet
- Check out local libraries, one-stop centers, and community colleges
3) Update your resume:
- Give it a modern look—remove the clutter (employers are mainly interested in only the last 10 – 15 years of experience)
- Highlight your accomplishments and the results you’ve produced
- Customize your resume to the individual job description
- Downplay the age element and remove dates of graduation
4) Nail the frequently asked age-related interview question
- Where do you see yourself in 5 or 10 years?
5) Come from a position of strength—attitude is everything:
- Take pride in your highly developed skills and extensive market knowledge
- Highlight the personal strengths you’ve built over a lifetime
- Stress your mature work ethic
- Remember to use the extensive network of friends, coworkers, associates, and clients or customers you’ve accumulated over the years
To get more ideas on how you can use these five tips to market yourself as the valuable candidate you are, take a look at this brief, 3-minute video of a recent interview I had on the local news. And be sure to check out Land the Job You Love—it’s packed with techniques that will set you apart and help you navigate the marketplace of today.
Use these 5 tips and get the tools you’ll need to approach the job market with confidence, express your numerous skills with pride, and anticipate success!